Portal   •  Forums   •  Calendar   •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Clan SOBR Forum Index » Real Time Strategy Games » THe Settlers Series
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 THe Settlers Series
darulezy
Assassin
Assassin

PostPosted: 1:46 PM, Sun 26 Aug 2007    Post subject: THe Settlers Series Reply with quote

Settlers is one of the games I used to play a lot on the Amiga 500, and this series is now up to its 6th version.

THE SETTLERS - Rise of an Empire
demo at Internode; http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=10854

Now the original The Settlers and follow ups to The Settlers 4 all followed the same basic theme, build a production system and watch and manage flows and production, where the final aim is to have enough gold and weapons to give your opponent a hard time.

But when The Settlers 5 (The Settlers: Heritage of Kings) was released they lost the entire concept of what made this game good, in fact it purely looked and played like a AOE rippoff, the game was made simple, there was nothing to manage and just for good measure they threw in a few super heros.

THE SETTLERS - Rise of an Empire (Settlers 6) somewhat goes back to having the right productions to make warriors, there is still a super hero, and there are upgrade options for buildings.

Having been a fan of the classic series I cant say that this latest release is something I like, might try the demo a few more times before I totally bag it, only problem I have with thte demo is that you cant save a game, and some games can go for many hours.

Going back to the classic Settlers topic, another title has recently been released;
The Settlers II: The Next Generation (10th Anniversary)
Which is a remake of the 1996 game The Settlers II, but with updated graphics. I recall playing that demo a while ago and thought something had been lost but I can't recall what.
Assassin
Assassin

PostPosted: 2:45 PM, Sun 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new one is out "The Settlers 7 - Paths to a Kingdom"

Demo is out, thought fairly heavy at around 2.5Gig

Had a freeplay, seems they kinda went back to Settlers 4 and tweaked the gameplay, which is not a bad thing.

so is it settlers? (5 & 6 were not imo)
Yes it is, build an economy and an army and stop your opponent(s) getting too strong.
They've even gone back to building pathways, but I've yet to see congestion (which was a challenge to manage in the early versions).
There is also some things that don't make sense, for example if you have a iron forge next to a coal and iron ore mine the ore needs to go to the warehouse then return to the forge so warehouse placement becomes critical.
You can't save in the demo which makes it hard to have a good look as it takes about 2 hours to setup a half decent economy, you can however pause and minimise and set your pc to sleep.

Its worthy of a purchase, but something they totally messed up is DRM, even for a single player game you need to be connected to the net at all times or the game will stop.
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger

PostPosted: 2:52 PM, Sun 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice will have a look at the new demo, i enjoyed the settlers also. is there MP?
Assassin
Assassin

PostPosted: 9:36 PM, Sun 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has MP, no sure about the demo.
Assassin
Assassin

PostPosted: 6:20 PM, Tue 30 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

turns out drm is giving players grief;
http://games.on.net/article/8521/Australian_gamers_unable_to_play_Settlers_7_due_to_DRM_woes

I do want to buy this game but prob not worth it till they sort the issue. Orange_Colorz_PDT_50
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger

PostPosted: 10:03 PM, Tue 30 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i read that too, bit gay imo
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: