Clan SOBR Forum Index
Portal   •  Forums   •  Calendar   •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Clan SOBR Forum Index » General Chat » Landrovers
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Landrovers
Jax
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger

PostPosted: 8:00 PM, Fri 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Landrovers Reply with quote

Hey guys, short story, I am keeping an eye out for a landy.
Some fo you may have heard the army is getting rid of their stuff and going to the Merc G wagens. Australian Frontline Machinery have the contract to sell the old stuff as it becoms available. They have been having an auction on Grays Auctions every 2-3 months, usually several locations.
This has been going on for about a year and a bit and there should be another 2-3 years of auctions left, so what I'm trying to say is
if you are on the lookout for a 4x4 landrover, a 6x6 landrover, a unimog, army trailers, mack trucks, military police bikes etc keep an eye on Grays Auctions.. one on now http://www.graysonline.com/sale/3004832/motor-vehicles-motor-cycles/ex-military-land-rovers-4x4-6x6-unimog-trailer?spr=true

prices are getting pretty reasonable too.. the 6x6s were going for about 30k at first auctions and the 4x4s for about 20-25k. Last 2 I have watched and its around 15-20 for the 6x6s and anywhere from 8-15 for the 4x4s, depending on varient.
Mercenary
Mercenary

PostPosted: 9:03 PM, Fri 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a landrover trained mechanic at work here for a while, he recons you need two, one to drive when the others in the shop.
Couldn't be any worse than the V8 landcruisers, they don't like the mud you get this time of year up in the pilbara.
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger

PostPosted: 9:41 PM, Fri 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, always hear bad stories of landrovers, like anything I think its a lot to do how you look after them, they are rugged but not tanks..

The ex mil ones have the beefed up axels (which seem to be the weakest part) they all have Isuzu motors which have a life of over 1,000,000 km.

We used to have a series 3 when we had the station.. dad had it from new and I cant think of a time it ever let us down.. it did have mechanical issues every so often, but no more than the landcruiser we had then. I know 3 people up here with landys, 2 of them old (90's) and one about 2 years old. none of them has had any issues either so.. who knows.. The military one will probably have been driven harder than a civy one true, but then again they are all servicer regulary and anything that isnt right is replaced immediately..

if it wasnt for the missus and kid I would be looking at a soft top for sure, but probably look at a troop carrier hard top or a senior commander model. Issues with the army ones for me.. no child seat anchor points, need to have one engineered in, no aircon (but could be fitted) no power steering in the 4x4 (but available to instal) mind you the 6x6s look sweet too......
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger

PostPosted: 9:43 PM, Fri 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civy mechanics rekon if there is no oil leaks then it must have run out of oil. army mechanics do a safety check which takes around 10 min, if there is more than 2 oil drops in that time its sent in for inspection..
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger

PostPosted: 9:56 PM, Fri 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove around Aus in the 110's about 7 times and UNIMOGS. Never really had any drama's apart from the odd tyre here and there. I'd buy one if I needed another car. Good thing about them is they don't rust.

Bullant
Mercenary
Mercenary

PostPosted: 11:40 PM, Sat 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with a landy . I grew up in them, well in the back anyway.
I was looking at buying one not long ago. The worse part was that no one is selling them, to me that means they are a keeper unlike the cruiser.
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger

PostPosted: 1:14 AM, Sun 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

another few auctions on now..
http://www.graysonline.com/promotions/military
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: